Pension plans and pension systems in the Netherlands and Europe
Available on: 14 January 2021, 21 January 2021, 4 February 2021, 11 February 2021
In this module you will learn about:
- the most important and current pension issues;
- pensions legislation;
- the various types of pension plans;
- the funding of pension funds;
- powers of supervisory authorities;
- your rights towards supervisory authorities.
Available on: 4 March 2021, 11 March 2021, 18 March 2021, 25 March 2021
This module was developed in close collaboration with the CFA Institute.
Pension funds invest the pension contributions generally paid by employers and employees into the pension fund, to eventually provide a socially acceptable retirement.
A pension fund’s board of trustees is responsible for the investment policy. There are thousands of asset managers and consultants who all offer an attractive proposition at first glance.
However, good decisions on asset management can only be taken with adequate knowledge of the investment aspects which are inextricably linked to the execution of a pension plan.
In this module you will learn how and why a pension fund invests, current issues, the importance of investment beliefs and how you as a trustee take investment decisions.
Risk management, balance sheet management
Available on: 15 April 2021, 22 April 2021, 20 May 2021, 27 May 2021
Pension funds play an important role in society. After all, millions of citizens depend on a supplementary pension for their retirement.
To enable pension funds to continuously fulfil their social role properly, in times of an aging population and the extended life span of their participants, the emphasis is on the financial management of pension plans.
In this module, you will learn about the relationship between cover ratio, ALM study, investment policy, establishing the premium height, and financial reporting.
You will learn the process, methods and techniques of risk management, including the possibilities of options / (receiver) swaptions / interest rate swaps and asset and liability management.
Available on: 3 June 2021, 10 June 2021, 17 June 2021, 24 June 2021
Most pension funds outsource their core activities such as asset management, pension fund administration and pension administration.
In this module you learn:
- Outsourcing in accordance with regulation and policy;
- Making outsourcing policies;
- Tax aspects of outsourcing;
- Costs associated with outsourcing;
- The essentials of service level agreements,
- Implementation of outsourcing; and
- Remaining in control after outsourcing
Available on: 9 September 2021, 16 September 2021, 23 September 2021, 30 September 2021
When you’re appointed as trustee, chair or internal auditor to a pension fund, you will typically have no influence on the composition of the board or the internal supervision. These are the people with whom you will have to take important decisions in the years ahead.
Good collaboration between trustees, management and internal auditors determines the pension fund’s effectiveness. Topics include:
- Decision making process
- Trustee and executive management
- Trustee and internal supervision
- Board performance evaluation
This module is about the formal aspects of governance, the legal and financial framework, how to develop vision and strategic policy, the insight in roles, tasks and functions of the chair and fellow trustees.
You will learn:
- Directing on driving forces, values and beliefs;
- In-depth understanding of pension funds, culture and politics;
- The risk management, audit and control functions of the board;
- Conflict management and self-assessment;
- Public affairs management;
- Connecting your learning goals with those of the organisation and fellow trustees;
- Understanding models for moral decision making, and codes of conduct; and
- Understanding integrity and apparent conflict of interest.
Marketing and communication
Available on: 4 November 2021, 11 November 2021, 18 November 2021, 25 November 2021
It has become increasingly important for trustees to properly and clearly communicate with participants about their pension.
It is, apart from following legal guidelines on pension communication, paramount that pension fund trustees develop a communication strategy. An effective communication strategy helps to clarify to scheme members which decisions have been made, and why. Moreover, legal claims, due to misunderstandings, can be prevented by clear communication.
With an effective marketing strategy, your pension fund can offer added value to the participants. In this module, you will learn how and why.